Thursday, December 3, 2015

And He Emerges, Blinking and Startled, To Find That Time Has Passed

As in, nearly a year of time since my religious dialogue with my Maker.  At this point, the only readership I have is comprised of the person typing this entry.

I'll start small to celebrate the occasion of my return: here's a cat picture I made my very own self. It's been a week of suffering and hardship, and I find that smiling helps me bear it.



Also, this song by the Fabulous Thunderbirds.


I used to listen to this record for the lead-off track, "Twist of the Knife" because it reminded me of my ex.  Then, driving to work one day, "Sweet Thang" came up and this is about how my thought process went:

1st listen - "Dear Jesus, what is that? It KICKS."

2nd through 10th listens - I become convinced that the riff Duke Robillard (Jimmie Vaughan's replacement on this record) is working out of the low strings on his Strat is pure sex and suggests a world of fun to be had on certain Saturday nights, and I begin diddy-bopping around and daydreaming about singing it live.  I remember years ago seeing a young woman crossing a street with a certain step whose stride and overall bounciness matched the perfection of the backbeat of drum and bass precisely.  "Hallelujah!" I say to myself, and hit repeat on the car's CD player.  Life begins to feel much, much better.  I start learning the lyrics in the hopes of singing it live one day.

11th listen - my critical, socially aware self starts paying attention and begins taking the lyrics one verse at a time:

"Don't know how to cook or sew
Can't even play the radio
my baby ain't good at much
But I'm just wild about her lovin' touch" 

Socially Conscious Me: Does Kim Wilson mean to call his girl dumb?  I mean, you have to be pretty far gone to not be able to work a radio. You know?

Me: But..I don't think he means that....

SCM: Is he saying that he's okay with a woman who's not all there upstairs but who's good in the sack?

Me:....Were you listening earlier?  Back when we decided Duke Robillard's Strat was AMAZING? Do you remember? The girl?

And after a long conversation like that, I reluctantly decide to keep my faith in Duke's guitar lick intact but it's not an unreserved faith.  This is more the kind of faith that lets me listen to exactly two Bo Diddley songs before the inherent misogyny in some lyrics stops me in my tracks.

Some year it was.  Get your groove on - Duke Robillard, Kim Wilson and the T-Birds still get it done.  If Bushido Cat moves you to smile, then smile.

Catch you later (but sooner than a year, I hope)



No comments:

Post a Comment